All that I'm after is a LIFE full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with YOU!

Apr 14, 2008

Is this Politically Correct?

OK - so my 14yr old daughter is kinda crafty like her dear ol' mom. I recently unearthed some letter beads while cleaning and she's been making bracelets. Tonight she wants me to check them out - and as I take a peak I am beyond shocked!




The first words I can utter out of my mouth are simply "KATIE!!!" as she begins to giggle! "What are you thinking Katie" I ask, "What mom?, Don't you like them?".
"Yes" I tell her "but why would you ever make a bracelet that says that?"
She in turn replies to me "mom, that's our motto in Ms. Gerb's class right now - we're studying the holocaust, and we love Jews".
I am still in shock as I get up and walk away from these possibly offencive bracelets.... and return with my camera in hand. "Mom" she calls to me "are you gonna post that on your blog?"

15 comments:

Becky said...

I guess I'm offensive too because I snort-laughed. And really, isn't it only offensive if it said hate instead of love?

pat said...

Hahahaha!!! I love the way kids see and say things. And, it is better than hate.

Suzy said...

LOL at her asking if your posting them on your blog! I think it's very creative and I like her pOV!

Cindi Koceich said...

I could kiss her for having such a sweet heart!!!

Jayme Downs said...

HEHE, well of course she's gonna post it on her blog...HEHE that made me laugh. ;)

She did a wonderful job with the bracelets. And everyone's right, she said love, not hate. :)

Amy said...

What a great memory. And isn't that what we're always on the lookout for? She did a super job.

Jess said...

AWWW! LOL! I laughed too. Kids are so funny, but they are HONEST and they tell it like it is! I don't think it's offensive. I think it's cute, especially knowing how her class is studying the holocaust. :)

Anonymous said...

I think these are great and positive. Think of the many other things she could have spelled out on there.

Yvonne, Tonya, and Erica said...

I probably would have been shocked to see them first too! I think we worry too much about being PC in todays world and they are wonderful and shows she has a good heart.

summerbl4ck said...

i would have been surprised too, but everyone's right. it came from a positive place. out of the mouths of babes, huh? if we're honest, isn't that what we all want--to be acknowledged for our unique characteristics and LOVED?

Christiana said...

How funny, she knew right where those pictures were going, lol.

Mom2Drew said...

I think it's terrific that she's so caring and paying attention. You know that in some history classes, they are trying to say that it never happened, so yea for her class and for a teacher that's teaching truth!

Bobbi said...

I don't think it's offensive at all, there is a heart :) Cute story.

Anonymous said...

The only one she might offend is Jeremiah Wright, King of the Racist Bigots & who cares!

I love her attitude & I'm glad they still teach about the Holocaust, so it may never happen again!

Jayne said...

I think they are cute and I was not offended in any way! :)